I like carrot cakes whatever which season it is ! Here is a healthy recipe that I created a few years ago. Hope you’ll like it!
Personally, I don’t like when a cake is too sweet. I like to taste all the different fresh ingredients flavors! You’ll see, this cake is not only tasty, but also nourishing and healthy (oil free, lactose free and low in gluten thanks to spelt flour).
To bake 2 small cakes like on this picture above or a big one:
- 250g grated carrots
- 175g almond powder (ground or flour is totally fine)
- 50g pecan nuts
- 25g cranberries
- 75g spelt flour
- 75g brown sugar
- the zest of a lemon
- the juice of a lemon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- in a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until it’s starting to foam
- add in salt, the zest of a lemon, the almond powder and the pecan nuts (chopped)
- then, all the spices ! (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger powder)
- sprinkle with flour and mix homogeneously
- add in grated carrots, lemon juice and cranberries
- in another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form peaks
- gently fold in the whites to the main prep
- pour the dough in 2 small loaf pans or in a big one
- it goes in the oven for 40 min – monitor cooking half time and with the tip of a knife, check if the center is not liquid anymore before removing it from the oven.
- Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.